28/03/2014: Teddi's Recovery: Day Two

This is an archived post from the webpage "healingteddi.com", which is no longer online. Since the posts have been moved off of the original webpage, some of the links may no longer work.  You can still navigate through the blog through this webpage, by searching through the blog posts.

I hope these entries can continue to encourage those facing appendix cancer

Original Post: 28 March 2014

Teddi’s Recovery: Day Two


10:00AM: Was able to visit Teddi for 10 minutes before the morning round of doctors came in to check her over. Good news! Teddi is sitting up! Woo hoo! It wasn’t easy, but she did it. She will stay sitting up until they do her cool chemo treatment. Her blood is clotting better now – so they can do it today. Big victory. Let’s hope she moves out of the ICU today. Aim prayers at her nausea and at pain management.

2:00PM: Teddi says today is the “longest day of my life”  .  She has her iPhone, so if you want to send her some love, she can hear from you!  I won’t distribute her contact information here to those of you who don’t have it, but you can send an email to me and I will send it through.  It also is a good time to start sending cards, flowers, etc.  Send them to me at:  30 Hercules Road, Unit 5, Brighton Le Sands, NSW 2216.  I will be at that address until 9 April.  I will update you with another address after that time.  

6:00PM: Tough day for Teddi.  Hopefully things are looking up from here, because today sucked.  She’s been having trouble with a handful of the ICU nurses (some of them have been ANGELS, I should add), and tonight she got an extra crappy one.  So crappy that after Teddi verbalised her complaints (and she responded extremely poorly), I pulled her, the nurse manager and a social worker into a private meeting and set them straight.  I enumerated Teddi’s needs and spoke to all of them directly, eye contact, names, specifics, the whole shebang.  Ending with telling them I wasn’t leaving until I was comfortable Teddi was being properly cared for – that a nurse was available whenever she needed, that her stomach was emptied when she felt nauseous and that her pain meds never ran out – oh yeah, and that she got a new nurse.

“That’s not possible” they said – “Then you’re dragging me out of here with a security guard when visiting hours are up, because I’m not leaving until you do” I said (and believe me, it would have taken more than one security guard!).  But I set them straight, with a lot of strength from all of you supporters out there, because I knew a lot people had my back!  Long story short – Teddi got a new nurse (ha!), and I am calling in every few hours tonight to make sure she is being looked after.  Nobody messes with my wife!  Today was a tough day – I felt a lot of sadness seeing Teddi so upset and vulnerable – but feel very good about how I handled it.  So prayers that Teddi will have angels for ICU nurses (instead of old cranky, egotistic she-devils!!).

*End Rant*

Moral of the story:  Don’t mess with #HealingTeddi supporters!  Let’s pray for a better day tomorrow!

P.S.  Peritonectomy’s suck!

9:00PM – Teddi has been moved out from the ICU! She is now in the “High Dependency Unit” – HDU.  She is in the middle of her first 23 hour cool chemo treatment. Only four more to go!  You can do this Teddi!  She reports that it is much quieter and they even dim the lights (oooooh fancy!).  And best of all, the visiting hours are much more relaxed!  Glad this hard day ended well.