Current Research Projects:
$3.6M ARENA Project - real-time operational distributed Pv simulations for distribution network service providers
I am the Chief Investigator on a $3.6M ARENA distributed solar modelling project, which is deploying operational solar forecasting to nine distribution networks across Australia. This technology will remove the uncertainty associated with distributed solar on these networks, by giving these distribution networks a clear understanding of the current and near-future solar power generation occurring within their networks for the first time. This project also features a commercialisation effort for this technology, through Solcast. A company that I co-founded, and currently lead as its CTO.
Past Research Projects:
Machine Learning Based Forecasting of Distributed Solar Energy Production
$800k of Australian Renewable Energy Agency Funding [2012-2016]
Role: Principal Investigator, Ph.D. Student
- Is where I developed the Regional PV Simulations System (RPSS)
- Deployed data-loggers to 100 Canberra homes to measure their energy generation in real-time
- Deployed three rooftop cloud-imaging devices to forecast cloud motion
- Applied machine learning and computer vision techniques to distributed solar forecasting
- Was a joint project between The ANU and NICTA (now Data61)
Past Research Focus Areas
Not big projects, but still relevant!
DETECTION AND CATEGORISATION OF SIGNIFICANT PV RAMP EVENTS IN AUSTRALIAN CAPITAL CITIES
- What weather events cause all of the PV generators in region to suddenly change their power output?
- Using meteorology, categorise these events so that they can be forecast
- Using the KPV methodology, produce full scale simulations of tens of thousands of PV generators
- Checkout our meteorological categorisation of ramp event paper in JAMC
Building, Validating and Improving Solar Radiation Models
- I completed validations of clear sky radiation models in Australia
- I also validated several global separation models in southeastern Australia
- I created a new separation models for minute-resolution radiation data
- My Engerer2 model has been accepted as the global standard for high resolution separation modelling!
- My radiation models are available in my solar modelling Rpackage